Roof maintenance involves basic tasks and is similar to house maintenance. The main difference being it involves having to access the roof which is not something everyone can do. Some of the common tasks include inspecting the roof regularly and checking for broken or missing shingles or tiles. Strong roofs keep you safe in types of weather conditions including a bad storm. Minor issues like a missing shingle and leaking roof if not spotted early on will result in expensive repairs.
On the other hand, periodic roof inspection and maintenance by the professionals is a spot issue with the tiles or fix a leaking roof and also increase the life of the roof. Ignoring the issues with your roof will usually mean having to either completely replace it or spend a great deal on roof repairs. This article goes on to explain the benefits of preventive maintenance and also lists several common signs that your roof needs your attention.
How Preventive Maintenance is better than Repairing When Damaged
There is a very old saying that goes like “Prevention is better than cure”; this saying fits perfectly when it comes to roof maintenance. Trusting the professionals for routine inspections and maintenance is a good preventive measure since there can be nothing worse than having to deal with leaking roof repairs when you least expect it. This applies to both commercial building owners as well as residential.
Here are several benefits of preventive maintenance:
- This is a good method of increasing the lifespan of your roof.
- Inspect your roof regularly to defect the small problem and fix it before it gets worse.
- Routine inspections can help spot clogged drains and gutters as well. Some of the common issues include leaves & dirt and the growth of mould or algae. Regular maintenance would help you remedy these problems with a mould killer and other cleaners before it gets worse
- Ignoring minor issues with your roof or failing to inspect it on a regular basis will result in creating an unhealthy environment with the growth of mould, fungus, etc.
- The residents of Sydney are accustomed to harsh weather conditions. Non-maintenance means it can break down when you least expect it, especially during a storm or heavy rain.
Common signs that your roof needs repairs
- If you spot animals on your roof, it is highly possible that it is broken and the animals have found a spot to invade your house.
- Call in the experts for an inspection if you hear persistent whistling sounds. In more cases, this would mean that there is airflow from the roof which requires sealing. Spotting the issue and fixing it will usually require the expertise of a professional.
- Do not turn a blind eye to black spots on the roof since this can very well mean an issue with mould or a minor leak.
- A quick glance at the roof without climbing up or after a close inspection is a good way to spot minor issues like missing shingles, cracked tiles, etc. Any issues found should ideally be addressed fast.
Tending to repairs on the roof, like roof valley replacement is time-consuming and also takes a lot of effort. Being more proactive towards the maintenance of the roof can save you a lot of time & money. Homeowners should ideally have their roof inspected at least twice a year and also look out for common signs that suggest there is something wrong with it.